The M60 Patton main battle tank entered service in 1960 to counter the new Soviet tanks found to have superior firepower to the M48 series of tanks then serving in Europe.
The M60 provided better firepower, armor protection and cruising range. It also had a coincidental range finder and an integrated fire control system, making its firepower quicker and more accurate.
The M60 incorporated the British-designed 105mm gun as its main gun and was able to destroy any known enemy tank. Its various rounds could be used against tanks, trucks, bunkers, enemy troops and fortifications. It had good armor protection and a powerful and reliable engine and transmission.
The M60 was used by the 1st Battalion, 63rd Armor, 1st Infantry Division.
Weight: 51 Tons
Crew: 4 – Commander, Gunner, Loader, Driver
Armament: Turret: 105mm main gun, 7.62mm machine gun, .50-caliber machine gun.
Main Gun Ammunition: Armor Piercing, High Explosive Anti-Tank, Anti-Personnel(APERS), High Explosive Plastic, White Phosphorous
Armor Thickness: .93” – 7.0”
Engine: Continental AVDS-1790, Air-Cooled, V-12, Diesel, 750 hp
Fuel Capacity: 385 gal
Speed: 30 mph
Range: 300 miles
Year Fielded: 1960