This restored M1917 French Schneider Howitzer is the same type of gun used by the 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery, 1st Division, commanded by Robert R. McCormick at the Battle of Cantigny, May 28-31, 1918.
The American Expeditionary Forces used French artillery because space on troop ships was limited and manpower was needed more than heavy equipment. Later, the Americans provided carriages, such as the M1918A3, and the French supplied the tubes and breech mechanisms. This howitzer had a maximum range of nearly 11,000 yards and could fire high explosive, poison gas, and smoke rounds. It weighs about 8,238 pounds. The French fitted these guns with steel wheels and pneumatic, rubber tires for motorized use in the early years of World War II.
Dedicated 11 November 2005 in honor of all American veterans, past, present, and future.
Donated by the French Republic, April 1, 2005, for the 50th Anniversary of the McCormick Tribune Foundation.