Tank Park

M24 Chaffee Tank


The M24 Chaffee was produced during World War II in an attempt to provide adequate armor protection and firepower with good speed and maneuverability. It replaced the M5 Stuart as the Army’s light tank.

Light tanks proved ineffective in direct combat against German tanks, so the US developed a doctrine of infantry support, to which the light tank was better suited. M24 crews did not hunt for German armor, but if engaged the 75mm main gun gave them a fighting chance.

Along with mechanized infantry support and reconnaissance missions the M24 was also able to destroy enemy bunkers, buildings, and other strong points.

Weight: 20.2 Tons
Crew:
5 – Commander, Gunner, Loader, Driver, Hull Machine Gunner
Armament:
Turret: 75 mm main gun, .30-caliber machine gun, .50-caliber machine gun, 2” mortar (smoke) fixed in turret Hull: .30-caliber machine gun
Main Gun Ammunition:
Armor Piercing, High Explosive, Smoke
Armor Thickness:
.375”– 1.5”
Engine:
Two Cadillac V-8 Liquid Cooled Gas 220 hp Engines

Speed: 35 mph

Number Produced: 4,731 Year Fielded: 1944